Monkeymoo chose some beautiful reindeer fabric way back in late October. To be her Christmas dress. She specified that it should have a bow. It should have a lot of twirl. It should have buttons. It must not have sleeves. I decided I would have a go creating my own, drafting my own bodice, and simply doing a gathered, very very very wide skirt.
Bodice was drafted. Bodice was redrafted. A muslin was made. I decided I would go for it. I got most of the bodice sewn. I realised the first strap was not on the outside of the dress. Try again.
I got there in the end, and here it is, looking more like it should. I was on the look out for pretty buttons, and hadnt found what I wanted. I also realised that I didnt have the button hole foot for my sewing machine. So I had to rethink the whole “fastening” scenario. I didnt feel brave enough to try my first zip on Monkeymoo’s Christmas day dress. So, I bought some hammer-in snaps and some cover-it-yourself buttons. Monkeymoo loved the buttons.
Monkeymama hated the hammer-in snaps. One ripped a hole in the dress and didnt leave a snap. Two just mashed up. Two did eventually fit. A third finally went in after some negotiation. Monkeymama is purchasing a snap press. And covering the pressed/mashed in snaps with the buttons.
The skirt of this dress is 3m in width. Its Seriously Twirly.
The first thing Monkeymoo did when trying it on was test the twirl. The second was declare “but it doesnt have pretties at the bottom”. At which point I added the beautiful burgundy lace trim.
She declared the dress to now be perfect. And the next morning she remembered that she wanted a matching hairband. Of course. Good job I had a couple of spare buttons.